Reproductions and Permissions
Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Getty Research Institute.
Terms Governing Reproductions or Publication of Print Media from the Getty Research Institute (GRI) Collections
1. Written permission must be obtained from the Getty Research Institute (GRI), an operating program of The J. Paul Getty Trust (the "Trust") to reproduce or publish images from the GRI's collections. The GRI will not permit reproduction for advertising or promotional purposes.
2. Objects appearing in GRI images, even if such objects are owned by the GRI, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, or related interests that are not owned by the GRI. The GRI is not giving permission to exploit any third party rights. The Applicant will ascertain whether any such rights exist, pay any royalties or fees claimed by any third party and obtain all other permission required to carry out Applicant's activities without infringing the proprietary rights of, breaching a duty to, or breaching an agreement with, any third party. Applicant will indemnify, defend, and hold the GRI harmless from all costs, charges, fees, or expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees), losses, damages, liabilities, or judgments arising from or relating to any claim, cause, or allegation asserted by a third party against the GRI based entirely or in part on Applicant's exploitation of the Image or Images licensed hereunder.
3. Permission is granted only for one usage in the Publication in one edition and in one language. Additional language editions and other derivative works based on the Publication must be separately licensed.
4. The permission and license granted herein is for reproduction and publication of the Image(s) in analog formats only. Applicant may only make digital copies as absolutely necessary in intermediate process steps to the creation of a book or periodical published exclusively in analog format. The GRI does not otherwise grant permission to reproduce or process any Image(s) in any digital format, and such permission must be separately obtained in writing.
5. Duplicates may not be made of photographic materials supplied by the GRI without the GRI's prior written approval. Any duplicates are the property of the GRI and will be immediately provided to the GRI by Applicant.
6. Each Image must be reproduced unaltered and in its entirety unless approved in writing by the GRI. The reproduction may not be cropped, bled off the page, guttered across facing pages, or printed on colored stock or with colored ink, nor may anything be superimposed on the Image. When a detail is used, the word "detail" must appear in the credit line.
7. Except as described below, the credit line and any copyright notice that appears on the front of this Application must appear on the same page as the Image(s) in the Publication. If the GRI's Image(s) would be the only one(s) in the Publication giving the full information in one of the above-stated locations, then the Applicant may list only the artist's name, title of work, and date. However, the complete documentation must appear elsewhere within the Publication.
8. The GRI reserves the right to limit the number of reproductions of GRI-owned property in any single publication if it appears that their number is disproportionate in relation to those from other sources.
9. No license or permission granted pursuant to this Application may be assigned by Applicant. This Application and any attached and cross-referenced pages sets forth the entire agreement of the GRI and Applicant regarding the Image(s) identified on the front of this Application, and supercedes all prior promises, representations, or statements of any kind, whether written or oral. This Application may only be modified in writing signed by the authorized representative of the GRI and expressly stating its intention to modify this Application. This Application will be governed by the law of the State of California without regard to its conflicts of laws principles. All litigation arising under or relating to this Application will be filed and prosecuted in any court of competent subject matter jurisdiction in the City of Los Angeles, California. Applicant consents to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for such purpose.
10. The reproduction permission granted hereby is limited to a nonexclusive reproduction license solely on the terms set forth herein. The GRI retains all copyright ownership and all rights to exploit its copyrights. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to the GRI. If reproduction is to be made from materials depicting the GRI's property, but not supplied by the GRI, the GRI reserves the right to approve these materials.
11. Applicant will obtain the GRI's prior written approval of final presentation of Image(s) prior to general distribution or publication of the Publication where the Image(s) is to be used on the cover of the Publication. Such approval will not be unreasonably withheld, and will be based upon the presentation of the image as regards color, cropping, sound, placement with other images, etc.
12. Applicant will defend, indemnify, and hold the GRI harmless from all claims, causes and allegations (whether threatened or pending) costs, fees and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees), awards, judgments, damages, losses and liabilities arising from or relating to any breach of this Application by Applicant or the officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents, representatives contractors and subcontractors of Applicant.