The highly successful exhibition Nefertari: Light of Egypt, organized by the GCI and the Fondazione Memmo, was on display at the Promotrice delle Belle Arti, one of Turin's premier exhibition spaces, from December 15, 1995, to April 8, 1996. During its first two weeks alone, over 20,000 visitors attended. The exhibit originally opened in October 1994 at the Palazzo Ruspoli in Rome, where it was seen by nearly half a million visitors over the course of eight months.
Intended to raise public awareness of conservation's importance, the exhibit—using a variety of media—integrated history and the display of objects with a presentation of the conservation process. Centered on the theme of discovery, it commemorated the unearthing of the 3,200-year-old tomb of Queen Nefertari in the Valley of the Queens by Italian archaeologist Ernesto Schiaparelli in 1904, as well as the conservation of the tomb's wall paintings by the GCI and the Egyptian Antiquities Organization during the period from 1986 to 1992.
The large exhibition—which filled 1,500 square meters of gallery space—combined elements from the ancient to the futuristic to describe the tomb's meaning, history, art, archaeology, and conservation, and included more than 130 objects, some from Nefertari's original funerary furnishings. The Louvre, the British Museum, the Egyptian Museum of Turin, the Archaeological Museum of Florence, and Turin's Royal Library all loaned items to the exhibit. An interactive virtual reality gallery allowed visitors to walk through the tomb as it appears today as well as at the time of its discovery in 1904; to learn the meaning of its images and inscriptions; and to gain awareness of deterioration problems and treatment methods.